Thursday, January 3, 2008

Back to the water...

Thanks to the perfect coordination of apparently all Los Angeles area pools, I enjoyed a two-week break from chlorine: all pools were closed for yearly maintenance. Yesterday though marked my return to swimming: 3000 yards yesterday, 3100 today and 3000 tomorrow. It is tough to start again and today my shoulders are sore!


Coach Paulo has me doing three effort tests this week: one run test on a treadmill, a bike test on the trainer and Saturday a 30 minutes time trial test on the roads. I’ll share the results when I have something smart to say about them (i.e. when Paulo gives me some feedback)!


Few late thoughts on Christmas…


Christmas morning was of course only about watching the kids opening their presents, witnessing their pure joy is always the real Christmas magic. It got me thinking about some of the presents that brought the most joy to me as a kid. I guess I did not really change as bikes were my favorite! I remember in particular a present I got when I was a kid: a brand new Eddy Merckx road bike. My parents bought it in a supermarket and it was not assembled. My father spent few weeks putting the bike together in an empty bedroom upstairs. I remember very clearly checking the progress on a regular basis. The bike was metallic blue, steel frame, two rings in the front, 8 speeds in the back (I think) with shifters on the down tube. I was so proud of it. It is still somewhere in my parents garage. I used that bike a lot!


I also remember very clearly a bike I had before (I guess when I was in 1st or 2nd grade). It was a used red steel frame, single speed, with a flat handle bar. One day my father picked me up after school, it was a Saturday, and we went to the bike shop. During the trip I tried to guess why the bike was at the shop and what was new on it. I did not guess but I remember being so excited. My parents had asked the mechanic to change the handle bar and put a bar with drops, like a race bike. Again I was the happiest kid and so proud of my bike. I had to be because I remember very vividly this moment, especially the trip to the bike shop!

No comments: